Lots of exciting new announcements from Apple, particularly in the world of education! Here’s the highlight reel:
Apple launched a new 9.7″ iPad now compatible with Apple Pencil and designed for powerful AR applications to bring out the creative genius of every kid + a whopping 200,000 apps made for education!
The new 9.7″ iPad comes loaded with:
- A10 fusion processor chip to enhance multitasking
- 64bit desktop class architecture
- 40% faster CPU
- 50% faster graphics performance (both when compared with the previous gen 9.7″ iPad)
A number of new apps are being released including:
- Boulevard AR App: working on bringing together every art piece from around the world
- Free Rivers App: detailed landscapes which allows users to insert dams into the landscapes to witness the outcome
- Frogpedia Science App: allows you to dissect a virtual frog with the Apple Pencil
- Everyone Can Code – Swift: AR kit module introduced that includes teacher guides and rubrics.
Apple also announced they are working on a new version of the iWork productivity suite for iOS
Pages and keynote will feature integrated apple pencil support to enable users to add drawings and smart annotation features. Smart annotation will also work by anchoring to the word – not just writing over the top like other devices.
Teachers will be able to use the iPad and Apple Pencil to mark up students pages reports as a result of the suites new markup functions. When a user annotates a document the markup anchors to the word or image.
Classroom, currently available on iOS, is coming to Mac (beta in June).
Classroom is a teaching assistant that helps teachers manage their students iPads, as well being able to guide the children through lessons, keep them focused and share their work.
Through Classroom, teachers are able to launch apps, books and web pages all on students’ devices simultaneously, as well send and receive documents.
Classroom allows teachers to view their students screens to ensure they stay focused.
Schoolwork, a cloud-based app, allows teachers to assign hands out, homework, reminders and track student progress, as well as develop their own handouts to include links, pdfs and other documents.
Schoolwork allows teachers to bring apps into the classroom, assign activity within the apps, observe student progress and creations whilst protecting privacy.
Schoolwork can also be integrated into 3rd party apps using Apple’s ClassKit API.
Apple Teacher Learning Centre
Share your classroom activities or learn from others. Earn badges and grow your learning.
- iCloud Storage: 5GB to now 200GB through Apple School Manager
A few things that weren’t mentioned in the keynote, but went live on the Apple site right after, include new iPhone and iPad cases, new apple Watch bands, as well as a Space Gray Magic Keyboard, Trackpad and Mouse, which were previously exclusive to the iMac Pro.